Streamline manufacturing system is a Japanese system developed for managing a manufacturing process.
It is a guideline for establishing a cellular manufacturing process.
Way back in 1990’s all auto industry has started moving from batch production system to cellular production system. These cellular production units have been organized as a batch of products and not a club of similar machines.
Single piece flow was also an end result of this process.
This Streamline manufacturing system popularly known as SMS works on creating a Visual factory. It has 10 steps from V1 to V10.
- Visual 1: This talks about how to organize various machines in the cell, ie cell layout.
- Visual 2: This talks about Man- Machine balancing. How many men should run how many machines, a basic chart is displayed regarding this in the cell.
- Visual 3: This talks about Multiskilling of operatives.
- Visual 4: This gives guidelines about material movement inside the cell.
- Visual 5: This gives guidelines about material movement outside the cell.
- Visual 6: Maintenance of machines.
- Visual 7: Jigs and fixture maintenance.
- Visual 8: Tooling maintenance.
- Visual 9: Documentation.
- Visual 10: Design office.
So let’s begin implementation of SMS in your manufacturing setup.